How many people stick to New Year’s resolutions? There’s no way to know for sure, but here’s a totally unscientific guess that it’s around 20%. Just go to the gym on January 2nd and again on February 2nd for a good snapshot. One problem that people make is trying to succeed in a new year with the mindset of “last year I didn’t do well enough, this year I’m going to do better.” Well, no matter how grim last year was, let’s look back at the positive accomplishments and use them for fuel in the new year.
No matter how minor or astronomical your achievements, write them down. Celebrate them. “Completed a 5k.” That’s a win. “Got a promotion at work.” Boom. “Qualified for IRONMAN Worlds.” Duh. We’re doing the same thing here at GU – celebrating our accomplishments in 2014 in order to do even better in 2015.
- We launched two new Chomps flavors and five (yeah, five) new gel flavors including much-requested Chocolate Peanut Butter with 10% of profits going to charity
- We partnered with Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon for our first ever flavor contest in which a new flavor was chosen entirely by the public. Salted Watermelon won, and continues to sell extremely well
- CAF, Strava, and GU teamed up to raise over $58,000 in a first-of-its-kind Strava challenge benefiting challenged athletes in need of prosthetics
- GU’s very own head of R&D Magdalena Lewy-Boulet won the North Face Endurance Challenge 50 Mile Championship in only her second year of competitive ultra-running
- And perhaps the cherry on top, Mirinda Carfrae won the IRONMAN World Championships in Kona for the third time, joining a very elite group of women as a three time champ
Can we improve some things from 2014? Absolutely. But we’re starting 2015 by taking pride in what we accomplished last year.