(Find original post and learn about self-massage recovery tools at addady.com.)
I have been craving dessert most nights since I started training for triathlon. I’m always hungry with my increased workload. My body works hard for me, and I know that my muscles crave some extra quality calories. I’m constantly searching for calorie and nutrient dense snacking options to fuel me between and after workouts. It’s easy to reach for sugary sweets when you’re exhausted and famished. I try to have healthy baked goods on hand so that I’m more likely to make good choices when I’m hungry.
Sometimes I’ll reach for a chocolate bar, but this cookie recipe gives me more bang for my buck. These naturally sweetened cookies are a great way to sneak in some extra nutrients and muscle repairing protein. And you won’t taste even the slightest hint of the black beans — only chocolatey goodness. Recovery cookies? Sign me up!
I turned to two of my favorite food blogs for inspiration: Running on Veggies and My New Roots. Both Lottie and Sarah have beautiful recipes for black bean cookies. My rendition is adapted from their recipes.
GUey Chocolate Protein Cookies
Makes 12 large cookies
- 1 15.5oz can of black beans– rinsed well
- 6 T teff flour
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 servings GU Chocolate Smoothie Recovery Drink Mix
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 T almond butter
- 1/2 c almond milk
- 12 pitted Medjool dates (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix all ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) in a food processor, making sure that everything is combined. Process until the batter has a smooth texture. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor periodically with a spatula.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Gently incorporate the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon so that they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
5. Use a heaping tablespoon to scoop the batter to form cookies on the baking sheet. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt.
6. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool and harden. Enjoy!