For athletes, caffeine is more than just a morning pick-me-up. Strategically adding caffeine to your nutrition plan before and during exercise can help keep your mind sharp, decrease perceived effort, boost your endurance, and delay fatigue.
Mental benefits: The mind is a powerful muscle when it comes to endurance sports performance!
- Caffeine can boost your mental clarity to keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Caffeine can decrease your perceived effort meaning hard efforts can feel easier.
Physical benefits: It’s not just in your head…
- When training or racing, caffeine can help you utilize fat as fuel, which spares your glycogen and extends your endurance.
- During longer efforts, caffeine can delay fatigue, meaning you’ll feel fresher, longer.
Okay… But How Much & When?
The short answer is that consuming caffeine both before and during exercise has benefits. More is not necessarily better. Research suggests that even a small amount of caffeine (70 mg) during exercise can improve performance.
Up to 400 mg of caffeine per day is considered safe.* However, caffeine stays in your system even during exercise, so consider skipping the extra caffeine for your evening activities to avoid disrupting your sleep!
Cold Brew Coffee
ROCTANE Energy Gel
Cold Brew Coffee, the newest addition to the ROCTANE Energy Gel line, packs in 70mg of caffeine (which is double the amount in other caffeinated ROCTANE Energy Gels) along with the electrolytes and amino acids delivered by all ROCTANE Energy Gels.*
- The flavor delivers a boost of energy with that bitter yet smooth taste you expect from a refreshing cup of cold brew coffee.
- As with all our Energy Gels, we recommend eating one five minutes before you start and every 45 minutes along the way. (To avoid over loading on caffeine, we recommend limiting your daily consumption to five Cold Brew Coffee ROCTANE Energy Gels per day.)