In 1993 Dr. Bill Vaughan created the first GU Energy Gel to solve the real challenges faced by his daughter, Laura Vaughan, an ultra-marathoner who struggled to digest the energy bars that were available at the time. Fueled by a desire to help his daughter reach her highest potential, Dr. Vaughan found a way to deliver the essential nutrition she needed in a portable and easily digestible gel-packet.
Over 22 years later, GU Energy Labs is still a family owned company whose products have fueled champions to podiums and countless athletes to PRs. As a company, we have evolved, tweaked our recipes, and launched new products across the spectrum of hydration, energy, and recovery… or as we like to call it, the GU Nutrition Matrix.
The GU Nutrition Matrix, is a holistic nutritional system designed to help you, the endurance athlete, Hydrate, Energize, and Recover while pushing your body to the limits. Each of our products contain essential nutrients you need to perform at your best including amino acids, carbohydrates, electrolytes, caffeine, and protein.
- Amino Acids: These building blocks of proteins are crucial to performance: branched-chain amino acids (leucine, valine, isoleucine) contribute to energy production, prevent mental fatigue, and kick-start your recovery; taurine improves your heart contractility; arginine increases blood flow resulting in improved nutrient delivery to your muscles; ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate (OKG) promotes muscle repair; beta alanine buffers acidity levels in your muscles to prevent soreness and reduce muscle fatigue; and glutamine improves function of your immune system.
- Carbohydrates: A finely-tuned ratio of 70% complex carbohydrates (maltodextrin) to 30% simple carbohydrates (fructose) delivers energy through two non-competing pathways to provide sustained energy to help improve absorption and prevent bonking by increasing glycogen reserves.
- Electrolytes: Sodium (the primary electrolyte lost in sweat) and potassium help maintain water balance and aid in optimum hydration.
- Caffeine: A boost of caffeine enhances performance by increasing focus and concentration and decreasing perceived effort during training or racing.
- Protein: Whey protein isolate helps promote muscle recovery and reduces muscle protein breakdown.
These are the essential components of effective fuel for endurance activities, which is why we’ve made it easy for you to get them on-the-go across our range of Hydration, Energy, and Recovery products.
Remember, whatever your athletic goal, there’s a GU For It.