ABOUT THE FOUNDER
I was a healthy, U.S. Navy Officer and a bicyclist, riding 200 miles a week. However, on October 16, 2006, one month before my fourth deployment to Iraq/Afghanistan in five years, a massive stroke hit my brain and body leaving me unable to speak, use my arm, or walk independently. What made it worse was that I lived alone so no one found me. Luckily, a shipmate found me when I didn’t show up on the ship for 14 hours. Among the things I had to give up or learn a new way, was the Navy, which I had been in for 16 years. I was medically retired as a Lieutenant Commander with an honorable discharge. Physicians were unable to identify the cause of my stroke, and prescribed me a cane and hard plastic brace for my leg. My right side is still paralyzed and walking remains difficult. With my determination and tenacity, I launched a second career in triathlons and cycling. This is a common story of the cyclist on my Team, Peace Cycling Performance.
ABOUT THE TEAM
We currently race in the USAC in the US and UCI World Cups and World Championships around the world. We routinely places cyclist upon the podium and capture those championships. Some of our highlights are: the 2012 Paralympic Games in London, which Steven Peace placed 5th and 7th, and the 2016 Paralympics Games in Rio, which Jill Walsh won two Sliver Medals and Ryan Boyle won one Silver Medal. This year, we have 9 cyclists ready to tackle the National Championships and World Cups, and with GU powering the engines, plan on the us on the podiums.
Before my injury, we never thought of competing at this level. Now? Just put it in front of us, and we’ll do it. Challenged Athletes Foundation has a box on its application that says “elite athlete.” We can check that now.
- 2016 (top finisher)
- Paralympics Rio – 2nd TT, 2nd RR
- World Cup of Paracycling – Basque Country, ESP, 3rd TT, 8th RR
- US Paracycling Trials – Charlotte, NC, 1st
- National Championship – Winston-Salem, NC, 1st TT, 1 RR
- World Cup of Paracycling – Oostend, BEL, 2nd TT, 2nd RR
- World Cup of Paracycling – Pietermaritzburg, RSA, 3th TT, 3th RR
- Place 1st in 4 classifications at National Championships (T1/T2 male/female)
- Podium in 3 World Cups in 2 classifications (T2 male/female)
- Win the World Championship in 1 classification
All PCP cyclists have different disabilities.
FAVORITE GU PRODUCT
Watermelon Energy Chews
Mix up your four packs of chews… Strawberry/Watermelon with a Salted Caramel chaser.